Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Valentine’s Day with Polymer Clay

It is Valentine’s Day and being me it’s time for me to make something special instead of just buying it off the self! After a bit of deliberation, and after eliminating choices like cards, music compilation, chocolates, etc. I decided to pick up my new found obsession of polymer clay and make a little something with it.
Polymer clay is one of the most versatile craft mediums and it is easy and I have a lot of fun working with it. Being a novice myself, I had not bought everything that craft stores have to sell and trust me for a beginner there is no need to be overwhelmed by the number of things sold, just stick to basics when you start.
I had with me the Sculpey® 12 colour sample pack, a set of Sculpey® starter tools and a work surface and that was good enough to create a cute love bear. Oh yes! What I also had was the internet and some excellent tutorials I followed a wonderful tutorial from Deb and Co. on youtube and you can see it here. I took the basic idea from the tutorial and then made my little tweaks, as the bear Debi shows is a Christmas bear and I wanted to make a fuzzy and warm little love bear. So I used the Preomo Sculpey® gold for the body of the bear to give it a more sparkly feel and then added more bright colours like Hot Pink for his feet pads, Lime for his scarf and Red Hot Red for the heart he holds in his hands. Once the bear was ready I baked it as per the instructions on the clay pack (which was at 275◦ for 15 minutes) and done!

Trust me this project was simple and a lot of fun and although boys are not into hearts and bears, my husband was quite happy to see this cute little thing sitting on top of the cake! Oh! Did I not mention that, yep I used the bear as a cake topper and now he sits on my night stand!
As I had mentioned Polymer clay is very versatile and you can make a variety of things like accessories, jewellery, keepsakes with it. I am trying to make a variety of things myself and I am very excited to keep you posted on these projects as we go along. I do need a lot of advice, ideas and suggestions from you so do leave me a line or few! 
- Shamoni

2 comments:

  1. This li'l thing is soooo very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashwini! The lil love bear sends you a big smile :)

      Delete

Blogging tips