Saturday, March 16, 2013

Quilling Therapy

I was (still am and always will be) fascinated with paper. 4 years ago when I discovered a quilling kit in a craft store, I knew I had to buy it!! It sat in my studio for about 2-3 months before I opened it and experimented. It was magical and then there was no stopping.

Quilling (also known as paper filigree) is therapeutic, addictive, fun and inexpensive. It’s an art form that uses narrow strips of paper that are coiled and then pinched into different shapes. Quilling can be very versatile and one can create unique gifts like cards, wall art, photo frames, trinkets, jewelry. It isn't difficult, just needs a lot of patience because you are dealing with tiny paper coils and trying to shape them. With practice you will get it just right. So let’s practice! J

This is where you will get some basic instructions, tools, supplies, techniques to begin. Google ‘quilling’ and you will see some really inspirational quillers who stimulate me.

Before working with the paper strips that came with the kit, I thought it would be more appropriate to practice with plain paper. So I took A4 size papers, cut them into strips (2mm or 3mm width each) coiled and shaped them. There are different ways of gluing the strips - a lot of quillers use a fine tip glue applicator, but I take out some glue on a plastic sheet and use a toothpick for application. A MUST have equipment while quilling for me is a tweezer.

The picture below was a card for my Mom's birthday. Since it was one of the first few cards I made, I played with a few shapes (basic)  which included circle, tear drop, marquise, triangle and some scrolls. 
-Smriti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips