Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Eggs


I have been seeing a lot of projects on the internet for Easter and I was really excited to do something myself.  I had many options and finally decided to decorate Easter eggs.


I used chicken eggs for this project and here’s how I went about decorating them.
I made holes on either side of the egg and blew the egg yolk and egg white out. Rinsed it and let it dry for a few hours.
I used strips of colored tissue paper and stuck them on the egg with a mixture of glue and water. While doing that, I covered the work area with a plastic bag to avoid the paper from sticking to the surface.  After 3-4 layers of tissue paper the decoupage eggs were ready.

Next thing on my list was a miniature egg diorama. To make this I carved out an oval shaped hole in the empty egg shell. The border was made by tight quilled coils. I glued the inside of the egg and stuffed it with some scrap paper. Then made a little garden scene with green tissue paper, rabbit cut outs and some flowers.
The last and my favorite was the quilled egg.  Since I didn’t want to stick the quilled shapes directly onto the egg, I created a paper mesh around the egg using 3mm strips.  I made two such meshes, one for the top half and one for the bottom.

All the quilled shapes were glued either to the sides of each other or the mesh wherever possible. The mesh was always over the egg while making the design. This helped me to take the egg out in the end.
This was a very different and challenging project as compared to my previous works. I learnt a lot and had a great time exploring.  And if you are wondering what happened to all the egg yolk and egg whites – scrambled eggs it was! :) 

-Smriti. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This one seems to be quite interesting. Wonder how you stuck those quilled coils on the mesh. It does appear to be a lot of hard work. And I hope you had a great Easter Sunday after all this hard work !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shruti. It sure needed a lot of patience. 3d quilling is fun and I'm learning something new everyday.

      Delete

Blogging tips