Sunday, April 21, 2013

Madhubani Pattern

The first few Madhubani paintings I did were very simple. I tried basic motifs like fish symbol. Fishes are a symbol of fertility/abundance and also avatar of Lord Vishnu. 

I drew the motif on a tracing paper and traced it on handmade paper with a pencil.
To finalize the details, I re-traced it with a black micro fine pen. 
I used drawing inks to paint. These inks work well on handmade paper as they blot well. I used brush sizes 000 to 1 , depending on the painting. 
I framed these with mirror and used as wall decor and some as photo frames.

Going a step further, I expanded the border with some geometric shapes, mainly triangles and some flowers at the four corners of the frame. These can be done free hand or using a ruler.  I stuck to the same color scheme of yellow and brown. To make it brighter I added the pink and purple.

These look beautiful and are ideal for beginners as it doesn't require any previous art experience. Go ahead and give it a try!

-Smriti.

2 comments:

  1. I too love madhubani painting as Its full of colors.you have done fab job doing this madhubani borders .The colors look very bright !

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips