Sunday, April 7, 2013

Happiness in a Jar

While I was planning my girlfriend's Birthday gift I was sure I wanted to make something special, personal and fun! 
 
I have always been fascinated by gifts in jars and have wanted to try making them because they are amusing, fun and look amazing all making them perfect gifts! I love the idea so much that I would love to occasionally make a gift jar for myself!
 
I luckily came across an amazing idea featured on bakerella of ‘Cowgirl Cookies’ in a jar which included a yummy cookie mix with traditional oats, chocolate chips, pecans and candy and instantly knew that this was the best gift for my friend.

I made what I called ‘Happiness in a Jar’, where I used the basic recipe with a few tweaks. I used a simple quart jar with 4 smooth sides so that I could decorate the jar and add tags where required.

I tried the following recipe and added the same to the jar starting from Layer 1 at the bottom:
 
  • Layer 1: 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • Layer 2: 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Layer 3: 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Layer 4: 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Layer 5: 1 cup traditional oats
  • Layer 6: 3/4 cup mixed m&ms
  • Layer 7: 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • Layer 8: 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • Layer 9: 1/2 cup white sugar
  • Layer 10: 1/3 cup chopped pecans
 




Once added to the jar, it was packed and added a tag to it with intrusions for baking the cookie which were as simple as:

To the ingredients add 1 beaten egg + 1/2 cup melted butter + 1 teaspoon vanilla essence; mix well and roll the dough into 1 inch balls; place it on a baking sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
 
On the other side of the tag I wrote some fun instructions like:
If you use hands to mix contents, quickly lick off the yumminess before someone sees you, smile when you mix and bake to make the cookie lip-smacking and sharing is absolutely voluntary but will add more happiness.
 
 
After a few stickers on two sides and a bright cover over the jar, it became a perfect gift for my girlfriend. it looked very pretty and elegant and additionally was very simple to make ( for someone unknown to cooking, simplicity was very important) 
 
 
 Conclusion : The gift was most appreciated and I did receive a big hug *smiles* but the cookies must hace turned out so good that they never reached me and I'm still waiting!!!
 
Do let us know if you have any good gift in a jar idea or you would like to create interesting ones and we can work on them together.
 
- Shamoni

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips