Friday, July 12, 2013

Quilling Book Review

Today I’d like to share my opinion on The Art of Paper Quilling’ book by Claire Sun-ok Choi.

The book has good information about the history of the art, different paper types, list of tools and materials, basic shapes and several tips and techniques. The photographs and the written detailed description of the shapes are brilliantly done.  The book has some beautiful designs and many styles of shaping flowers that are unique.  Some leaf arrangements are very interestingly done.

As I have been quilling for over 4 years now, I found this book to be good for a beginner. It has simple and a few advanced projects, which can be great gifts for friends and family.  Each project is explained in detail with information from the color, length of strips, shapes required, and assembly.  

The one thing that I was confused about in the book was the lengths of the quilling strips mentioned. They don’t seem to match up with the actual size templates given at the end of the book. In some projects, shorter length strips are mentioned, but a look at the picture shows it is made from a longer length of strip.

The gallery of Claire’s work at the end of the book is just mind-blowing, especially the butterflies. I was hoping that the book would have some tips for making those too, but I was disappointed.

To sum up, I personally would have not bought the book if I could browse it in the library/book store. At the same time it is a worth read for beginners,especially at a reasonable price. 

-Smriti.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips