Thursday, July 25, 2013

Redefining Mehndi Art

The history of Henna or Mehndi designs has spanned through many years and cultures and women adorning themselves with these intricate and beautiful tattoos as a decorative accent. For years artists have been adding new design concepts and ideas and have challenging themselves to create fashionable and out of the box creations.
 
Coming up with new mehndi designs can be challenging because the artist works on a limited surface area which is mainly a palm. With a limited working area, the designs get very intricate and due to the texture of the mehndi paste getting the shapes and designs right without smudging is tantalizing! Over the years artists have developed certain shapes and designs which are peculiar to mehndi art and keep adding newer shapes and enhancements. Artists have changed the way people look at mehndi art, which has not remained the conventional body accent. Artists have tried to get mehndi on canvas, candles, home décor and so on.
 
I have always been fascinated with the combination of bold and intricate network of design motifs of mehndi designs and I decided to incorporate the design motifs into contemporary artworks. I recently put together a design that combined mehndi design with fashion illustration to add in an exciting angel to this art form. I have concentrated on the hat and I plan to create a series of various hat forms. A series like this will look great as a wall art for your urban and contemporary home! 

 
 
 
I have of course not used the actual mehndi/henna paste but rather worked with black ink on cardstock paper as I did not want to work with actual mehndi paste and add a sealant to it etc. I wanted to concentrate on the design elements rather than the substance itself and to add on lot of people may not like the mehndi odour (I have never liked it myself) but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t enjoy the beautiful design form!

I wish to keep experimenting with this art form to create interesting blend of indo-western designs and if you have some ideas do write to me and I can work on them! If you wish to purchase any of our products write to us at writetocraftconnection@gmail.com and we will be happy to work with you!

- Shamoni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips